I went to college at the University of Tulsa in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
When I tell people this, most of them look at me strangely. I can tell they are wondering why the hell anyone would want to go away to school in Tulsa. But it was a good school and lots of fun. I think pretty much anywhere away from home or in a different state is the key. It’s what you make of it. As long as you don’t smoke too much pot and flunk out, you’re good to go.
20 21 22 Things I Learned in College:
1) Keyboarding skills will help you.
2) A party that features Jungle Juice made in a big garbage can get a little scary, but it’s even scarier when you watch your friends eating the fruit at the bottom of the garbage can at 3am.
3) Fraternity houses smell funny.
4) Nothing is more awesome than a dorm room and a pre-paid cafeteria meal plan.
5) “The Humpty Dance” by Digital Underground will always be fun to shake your ass to.
6) It doesn’t feel good to be cheated on. It doesn’t feel good to do the cheating, either. Guilt sucks.
7) If you are dating someone exclusively and you can’t be honest about your feelings and fears, you (both) still have some growing up to do.
8) There are many different ways to look at an issue. For example, (insert male southern accent here) a TU economics professor asking the class, “What’s a BILLION? Well, a billion dollars in the national debt, now that’s not a lot. But a billion bullet holes in yer body, NOW THAT’S A LOT!” Ummm, yeah.
9) Matching sundresses and hats are only a good look if you are under the age of 5.
[singlepic id=455 w=420 h=340 float=center]
10) If you shack up with a guy for the night and he sleeps in a t-shirt, he probably has a very hairy back.
11) If you stumble to the dorm bathroom in the middle of the night, naked and completely blitzed, don’t accidentally walk into a huge black football player’s room and try to crawl into bed with him. Especially if you are a guy.
12) Be polite to your elderly house mother when she calls you Pepper for four years.
13) Beer + canoe floating = fun
14) Don’t yank super hard while pulling a canoe up on a beach when your canoe partner has just started to stand up. See #12.
15) If you go to formal dances or events in college, you will wear some UGLY ASS outfits.
16) You will make lots of friends, and you won’t stay in touch with many of them. But that doesn’t make you love them any less.
17) Don’t assume you can trust all your sorority sisters. Your real friends will have your back. ALWAYS.
18) Growing older is a good thing. Especially when you don’t have to freak out about using a fake ID from the Dallas flea market anymore.
PS – most of us will look even better when we are in our 30’s. Case in point:
[singlepic id=456 w=420 h=340 float=center]
19) If you have a serious boyfriend your senior year in college, don’t feel like you have to be engaged right before/after graduation. You may have bigger and better things to do with your life. AND FOR GOD’S SAKE, YOU’RE ONLY TWENTY-ONE.
20) See those girls eating biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast every morning? They WILL gain weight.
21) The thrill of the chase! And the thrill of the first kiss! Oh my…
22) You will experience a few heartbreaks and probably lots of hangovers, but these will help make you stronger.
Loyal readers, please feel free to add your own college lessons in the “Comments” section under this post. In fact, please do.